_

_

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Arizona, the Melting Pot!

Okay so we have been here in Arizona for five days now and I think its time I give a little peek into our trip thus far. I choose the title for this blog post very carefully because I really wanted to sum up everything Arizona in a couple words, and melting pot does it best! 
There are many reasons for AZ being dubbed the melting pot and I will tell you why:
Reason #1
Since we have been here I haven't seen the temperature lower then 90 degrees. We have loved every minute that we have spent in the pool and know that it is only going to get hotter, summer is here!! 
Reason #2
There are TONS of different ethnicity's here. Latins, Native Americans, African American, Asians, low class, white trash, high class and everything in between. Also we live pretty close to ASU so there are a lot of college kids around town too. 
Reason #3
Arizona has all different kinds of places that are known specific to certain States. I have traveled and lived in quite a bit of different places and know, as many of you probably do too, that certain states have certain things special to them. For example:
*Here in Arizona they have a Waffle House, Blimpe, and a QT- Places mostly found in just the South specifically GA, FL etc.
*They also have a Whataburger and Blue Bell Ice Cream- Places/things mostly found in just Texas
*They have an am/pm and In and Out- Places mostly found in California (In and Out not so much anymore) 
These are only a few of the things we have seen just driving around our little area and such! I am sure there is much more that I am probably forgetting (pregnancy brain!) and also that we haven't seen yet. All my friends form these places will probably understand how crazy it was when driving down the street I saw a QT (I called my Dad and he freaked!) and a Whataburger!! They have definitely created a melting pot of places here, something that I have never seen before! 


All in all we love it so far. Our apartment is spacious and close to many necessities like a WalMart, Costco, Movie Theater, Mall, Restaurants etc. We have loved having a pool and a gym right outside our front door. And being on the third floor has given my buns a good work out every time I have to take the pup out. We have endless use of cable, a luxury we never had in the almost 4 years we've been married! And good ol' internet too. We really feel blessed for this opportunity we've been given for David to work with Honeywell and we are so grateful for all that Honeywell has done for us. I don't think most internships go this way so we feel really really blessed for having this fun opportunity and adventure. Speaking of Honeywell, today was David's third day there and he loves it! He really enjoys everyone he works with and he is starting to catch on to all the terminology and information that's been thrown at him. David's major at BYU is Global Supply Chain so at Honeywell,--- I should probably back up and explain Honeywell for those of you who have never heard of them! Honeywell is a Fortune 100 Company that has their fingers dipped in many different pies. They do everything from alarm systems, to thermostats, appliances, transportation systems, etc. One of the biggest things they do is Aerospace. They supply parts for really anything that flies including Airbus, Boeing, helicopters, jets, space shuttles etc. Most recently Honeywell landed a  11+ BILLION dollar contract with China to supply all the parts for their C919 airplanes. So pretty awesome stuff if you ask me! With David's major, he was brought on to do a lot of their inventory, shipping and receiving, forecasting of numbers and lots of other things that slightly blew my mind. Every day they deal with millions of dollars in inventory and he is really loving all the real life application and experience. It makes school a lot more applicable. It makes me very relieved  to know that he is enjoying all that he is doing. Who could ask for more?? :) 


Things about Arizona thus far:
1. There is a University of Phoenix every where you turn
2. There are REAL, traditional like cactus here, like the cool looking tall ones. I have been in New Mexico and Texas and parts of Cali that are dessert and I have never seen cactus like this before, they are every where when you make the drive!
3. There are signs for rivers and streams almost every couple miles on the freeway but when you look over to see it it's all dried up dessertness...wishful thinking?? 
4. Everyone drives the speed limit, AND a portion of the freeway is only 55mph!!! That's like construction zone pace people! Heaven help my lead foot and my husbands tendencies to get tickets. These people would die in Cali and parts of UT where it's 80mph. 
5. It's a lot greener then we anticipated, (in parts of AZ) I would love to live in Flagstaff! 
6. Don't drive thru a town called Guadalupe, you'll need a passport. Not really, but seriously! :)


Life is good and we are settling in nicely! Im excited to meet the ward next Sunday, should be a good couple of months!


Pregnancy Update: 14 weeks and 4 days
1. I still gag every time a brush my teeth
2. I have the night time needing to pee thing down to a science, almost always at 1:40am I am up to pee. Think of me if your up too-or maybe don't! 
3. My tiredness has almost completely gone and I have had the much needed energy I have wanted to work out and keep up with the daily to do's 
4. I still have funny food aversions, boo!
5. Most recently is the new symptom of acid reflux
6. I like Spaghetti O's, any kind of fruit and Otter Pop's YUM! Plus all the other things from last post. 
7. WE FIND OUT IF BABY PYNE IS A BOY OR GIRL ON MAY 12TH!!! Sooo excited!! On Mother's Day weekend, so fitting right?! YAY! 


Thanks for checking in on what we're up to, love you all!! 

4 comments:

  1. yay! Glad to hear that you guys are doing well in sunny Arizona. And I will definitely be thinking of you with the late night bathroom runs. I'm up to three a night. Ah, joys of pregnancy! Let me know the exciting news next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we drove from Georgia, I LOVED Flagstaff. I thought it was the most beautiful town I had ever seen. It's so green and pretty. Glad you guys are all settled. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. "3. There are signs for rivers and streams almost every couple miles on the freeway but when you look over to see it it's all dried up dessertness...wishful thinking?? Yes."

    Just wait till it rains :P

    Glad you guys are liking AZ! This post has made me miss it quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea we were thinking that they probably come in handy when it rains, that's kinda how Canyon Country is just not so many. Gotta be prepared with all the flash floods that come with rain and dry climates! I would love to get a rain storm while we are hare! I hear they have cool lighting/thunder storms too! So fun! We really are loving it!! I will have to get all the 'must see' from you or Jesse one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete