Well, here we are living the desert life!
We made to it AZ and have spent the last month and a half unpacking, organizing and setting up house. We have definitely liked it here so far and will love it even more when the temps get down to a more normal degree. Until then, we spend most of our time indoors finding things to do that involve A/C!
Here's a record of all things 'Move' worthy
We moved to Mesa, AZ on July 7th 2013
I knew this day was coming for a long time but nothing prepares you for those hard goodbyes. Time moved so fast leading up to our move that before I knew it we were pulling out of the driveway at 4 am waving goodbye to my family who all got up early to see us off. Oh how I miss them! I think my family is pretty unique in the sense that we basically live in each other's pockets. We do everything together, and we like it that way. So moving away was a pretty big deal. I cried my eyes out all the way from their house to the freeway and continued to randomly burst into tears the entire drive. I was a mess. And figured I would be a depressed, pity party of a mess for a good couple weeks but Heavenly Father had a tender mercy in store for me. I have not felt homesick once since we've been here! I definitely miss everyone but am still able to function and be happy! Which is so important.
So the day we pulled in to our new place was probably the worst day ever! It was a scorching 119 degrees out! Seriously! I have NEVER felt heat like that. It was the craziest thing ever. You literally felt your skin sizzle. Fun Fact: The hottest temperature ever recorded on Earth was in Death Valley, CA at 134 degrees and the hottest temp ever recorded in AZ was 122 degrees, we weren't to far from that! Anyways it was hot. We get to our place and meet the property manager. He begins to explain how nothing is ready for us (even though they knew we were moving in on this date for two whole months!). The kitchen sink leaked buckets of water every time you tuned it on, all the towel racks and toilet paper holders were lose or broken, the floors and carpet hadn't been cleaned, holes hadn't been patched, all our blinds wouldn't close, the showers leaked, almost all the light bulbs were burned out or missing etc. and the previous tenant left the place a dump. BUT the worst of it all was the fire alarm. The fire alarm was needing new batteries so naturally it beeps... loudly, every 5 mins. Normally you just go and replace the batteries, easy fix and nobody gets hurt from the incessantly, annoying beeping. But the wise guys that built this town home decided to put the fire alarm all the way at the tippy top of one of the tallest vaulted ceilings. Geniuses. A silly place if you ask me. So needless to say you need a special ladder. The property manager knew that it had been beeping and mentioned to me how annoying it was while she was there earlier in the week...really?! But not fixed when we pull in almost a week later. So it beeps all day and all night. It beeped and beeped and BEEPED for five whole days before she finally had someone come and fix it!!!! And I had to call to keep reminding her and she would keep saying "oh I am so sorry, I am just so busy right now, I will get on that first thing tomorrow". I wanted to punch her in the face. I ended up calling the handy man and he came the next morning. He also fixed everything else that was wrong with the place so I could actually cook and wash dishes etc. Bless that handy man cause our sanity was wearing very thin! Meanwhile that first week we paid to get the carpets and tile cleaned, David patched up all the holes, dents and furniture marks in the walls and then we painted! It was a very busy first week but needed to get done cause the movers came with all of our stuff that Saturday! Ohhh so nice to have movers!!! The company paid to relocate us which was a very, VERY awesome perk and a huge blessing! They covered everything. The movers came and packed us up at my parents house and then brought everything here and set everything up. We didn't have to lift a finger! They also gave us the option of flying or driving and paid that as well. We drove because the movers said it might be two weeks or so till we get our stuff and I wanted to have Benson's toys and what not. So we rented an SUV and they shipped our car down. Everything was smooth sailing!
10-4-13
OKAY! Wow. It has been like 3+ months, it think it's time to finish this up and post!
We have loved absolutely loved living in AZ! We have the greatest ward full of the neatest people. I have never lived in a more welcoming ward. They have gone above and beyond the call of duty to make sure we felt loved and welcomed. David got called to be a Sunday School teacher over the graduating seniors, which he loves and I got called to be a Mia Maid adviser which is a dream calling and so much fun! We are getting to know everyone here and making great new friends.
Benson is like a star out here in AZ. Seriously famous. I don't know what it is about where we live but we can't go a foot without someone gushing over him. Whenever we are out people will LITERALLY go out of there way to come up and talk with him or smile at him etc. It's crazy! In UT I don't think people really even noticed him- but boy oh boy he gets some serious attention out here and he loves it! He is quite the charmer and knows how to play a crowd. It's hilarious! At first it kinda wierded David and I out, all these random people coming up to us or stopping us and pinching his cheeks... the germ freak in me was squirming but now I just think it is so kind, sweet and endearing. And the Mom pride in me feels pretty darn good too. ;)
We are pretty much all unpacked and moved in. Well at least livably moved in. Our place was a lot bigger in Provo so we have struggled to find a home for things. One day we will be home owners so I haven't wanted to get rid of too much stuff so we make it work with the space we have. You never know how much stuff you have till you try and move it all! The downstairs is completely done, it's just the upstairs that is lacking a little. All in good time!
David is loving Honeywell and I am too!!! If you ask me it's the sweetest job EVER! ;) He is home between 3:30 and 4:30 ever day and sometimes earlier. He also gets to work from home twice a month!! Eeeee! He loves what he's doing and works with great people which is a big plus. We have been able to save good money and even pay off our entire student loan! We feel beyond bless at where life is for us especially having just graduated from college and are so grateful for the opportunity David has to work for a great company. David is loving being done with school, it is soo nice not to have test and homework looming over you. When he's home he's home and it's the greatest thing.
Whelp, that pretty much wraps it up!
We have settled in nicely and are loving every minute out here!
AFTER!!
(I took some of these pictures at night so the walls look a little yellower then they really are with the flash. And we didn't paint the kitchen, just fyi.)
The pantry is on the other side of Benson's booster seat
Laundry room by the fridge
Door to the downstairs bathroom
10-4-13
OKAY! Wow. It has been like 3+ months, it think it's time to finish this up and post!
We have loved absolutely loved living in AZ! We have the greatest ward full of the neatest people. I have never lived in a more welcoming ward. They have gone above and beyond the call of duty to make sure we felt loved and welcomed. David got called to be a Sunday School teacher over the graduating seniors, which he loves and I got called to be a Mia Maid adviser which is a dream calling and so much fun! We are getting to know everyone here and making great new friends.
Benson is like a star out here in AZ. Seriously famous. I don't know what it is about where we live but we can't go a foot without someone gushing over him. Whenever we are out people will LITERALLY go out of there way to come up and talk with him or smile at him etc. It's crazy! In UT I don't think people really even noticed him- but boy oh boy he gets some serious attention out here and he loves it! He is quite the charmer and knows how to play a crowd. It's hilarious! At first it kinda wierded David and I out, all these random people coming up to us or stopping us and pinching his cheeks... the germ freak in me was squirming but now I just think it is so kind, sweet and endearing. And the Mom pride in me feels pretty darn good too. ;)
We are pretty much all unpacked and moved in. Well at least livably moved in. Our place was a lot bigger in Provo so we have struggled to find a home for things. One day we will be home owners so I haven't wanted to get rid of too much stuff so we make it work with the space we have. You never know how much stuff you have till you try and move it all! The downstairs is completely done, it's just the upstairs that is lacking a little. All in good time!
David is loving Honeywell and I am too!!! If you ask me it's the sweetest job EVER! ;) He is home between 3:30 and 4:30 ever day and sometimes earlier. He also gets to work from home twice a month!! Eeeee! He loves what he's doing and works with great people which is a big plus. We have been able to save good money and even pay off our entire student loan! We feel beyond bless at where life is for us especially having just graduated from college and are so grateful for the opportunity David has to work for a great company. David is loving being done with school, it is soo nice not to have test and homework looming over you. When he's home he's home and it's the greatest thing.
Whelp, that pretty much wraps it up!
We have settled in nicely and are loving every minute out here!
Here are some pictures from our move and a mini tour of our place.
BEFORE!
AFTER!!
(I took some of these pictures at night so the walls look a little yellower then they really are with the flash. And we didn't paint the kitchen, just fyi.)
The pantry is on the other side of Benson's booster seat
Laundry room by the fridge
Door to the downstairs bathroom
And there you go, our home!
Next tour will be of the upstairs when I get around to hanging pictures. The upstairs has two master bedrooms with their own bathrooms and walk-in closets. In Benson's room we have a bed in there with him for any visitors that come our way. With the winter weather settling in UT we'll be ready for you with open arms! ;)
In July my dear friend Chrissy made these adorable moving cards for us to mail out! I blotted out our address for the web so if any of you need it let me know! Chrissy is amazing and makes all sorts of cards- Christmas cards, moving cards, announcments of any kind etc you name it she does it. Check out her website here! She is the most creative, talented person I know! Thanks Chrissy!!!
Happy Friday!









.jpg)






Such a cute place! We've lived in our house for 2 years and still haven't hung all our pictures. Way to go!
ReplyDeleteThanks Heather!! That's usually how it is for us too. I owe this all to my Mom! On one of her last visits we spent a couple days just hanging things! It was so nice. The last place we lived in for 4 years only had pictures hung in the entry room! And then we hung a few in our room but never actually put pictures in them, haha! I'm a work in progress! :)
Delete