_

_

Sunday, November 11, 2012

a birth story

 Two and a half weeks ago, on October 24th, Benson Allen Pyne came into the world! I can't believe it's already been that long! We've been so busy getting to know our precious baby boy that I haven't had a moment to sit down and finish writing about his arrival. Who knew something so small could keep my days so full! It has been the best two weeks of our lives! I started this post forever ago, and I think it is time to wrap it up and share, enjoy!! 

October 30th 2012
   Well folks, David and I are officially parents!! I can honestly say transitioning into parenthood has been smooth sailing, it feels so natural! It helps though I think if you have a good baby, which we feel so blessed to have! He has been the best baby EVER! And I promise Im not just saying that cause he's mine! ;)  
Our little baby boy will be a week old tomorrow. It blows my mind because it feels like he has always been here! Crazy to think that this time last week I was still miserably pregnant! Ahh so glad he is here and we can smother him with all our millions of kisses! 

Baby Benson's Birth Story
It all started last Tuesday, October 23rd. David and I woke up that morning and headed over to the Doctors for my 39 week appointment. When we got there my blood pressure was a little high, which it had been at my 38 week appt too. The doctor was a little concerned about it and figured that we were only 4 days shy of my due date and that we might want to consider being induced. I was so ready to be done being pregnant and not wanting to risk the health of the baby or I we decided being induced was best. Not to mention we were dying to meet our little man! So we figured it would be in the next day or so but when the doctor came back into our room he said, 'Okay, I will see you at the hospital!', Whaaa?!?!? We were coming out of our skin with emotion!! David and I both looked at each other in total bewilderment, we were speechless. We rushed home and grabbed our bags. Everything I did was followed by, 'this is the last time we walk the dog just the two of us', 'this is the last time I go up these stairs pregnant', 'next time I walk through this front door we will have a baby'...you get the idea.. it was definitely an indescribable feeling! We were full of excitement! On our way to the hospital we pretended what it would be like if I was in real labor, 'run the red lights!!' I said...'Hang on Hunny, breathe...we are almost there!' he said. Ohh the fun we have! 
We got to the hospital around noon and got us started with the IV and Pitocin. Before going to the hospital I was 3cm dilated and almost 100% effaced. So we were thinking things would go pretty quickly, but boy were we wrong! They started the pitocin at a small dosage and then increased it every half hour. I was pretty nervous about being induced because I had heard that it can make labor contractions pretty intense. I was anticipating being uncomfortable pretty quickly but a couple hours into it and a few UNO rounds later I was still feeling pretty good. In fact, they had it all the way up to 20 (which is the max) and I was still all smiles. It wasn't until the doctor came and broke my water that my contractions came hard and quick! I thought to myself, 'ohh so these are what real contractions feel like!' My goodness were they intense. I like to think that I have a pretty high pain tolerance but these put a whole new perspective on those that deliver naturally. But wait, I am getting a little a head of myself in the story...
So before the doctor broke my water my nurse checked to see my progress and noticed something that she couldn't quite pin point, we weren't sure what was going on. She then brought another nurse in and that nurse checked me and felt the baby's head and seemed pretty confused as well. They then explained to me that they were feeling something on his head and that they weren't sure what it could be. They were going to do an ultrasound and then call the doctor and go from there. It was hard not to feel a little worried and concerned especially since we felt a little left in the dark. The nurses were thinking that maybe it was his hand by the top of his head, which was comforting. So they did the ultrasound and couldn't see anything but said that they would let the doctor know when he comes to break my water. At this point I was almost dilated to 5cm. So the doctor came, broke my water and said that he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on the baby's head and said that he would be back later on to check. So we breathed a sigh of relief, and continued to wait. Like I said before, I then had the epidural. The epidural was good, besides the fact that the doctor had to do it twice, ugh. Actually I take that back, it didn't really work very well on me. It def took the edge off the pain and then some but I could still feel a good bit every time I had a contraction. The worst I felt it was in my back. It honestly felt like my back was breaking. It was horrible. Also I think the way my body deals with pain is shaking. Every muscle in my body was shaking uncontrollably. A lot of people say that the epidural can do that to you but I had the shakes right as the pain was starting before the epidural was even an idea in anyone's mind. It was miserable! So it was safe to say that I was in full blown labor and in for the long haul! David was so incredible, he was my rock and helped me through the pain. I couldn't of done it without him!
So the nurse would come in and check me periodically and was still feeling something on his head. One of  the times she checked me she thought that maybe it was his face and his nose that she was feeling but wasn't sure. About 13 grueling hours into our day the nurse checked me again, I was dilated enough that she could get a good feel of the baby's head and was certain that she was feeling a nose and the baby's face. This was the news we really didn't want to hear. The nurse had been suspecting it and gave us a run down of the outcome for a face presenting baby. Depending on the position of the baby (anterior or posterior) we were told that a c-section might be his only way out. David and I were hopefully though that the doctor would have some better/different news! The wait felt like years for the doctor to get there. I was trying so hard to be positive, we all were. Finally the doctor came in checked me and confirmed that our baby boy was wanting to see his way out and was face presenting posterior, the one way out of the two that you cant deliver vaginally. The doctor painfully tried turning him but couldn't, our little one was squished pretty snug in the position he was in. This news hit like a ton of bricks. Honestly there are no words to describe the emotion I felt, that we felt. A c-section had never even crossed our minds. Everything had gone so smoothly and well, there was nothing ever in any of my appts that would allude to a c-section being a probability. This news came totally out of left field. I had wanted so bad that moment of delivering our baby. I wanted that moment with my husband. I wanted to hold my baby in his first few seconds, see him as he takes his fist breathe, his first cry, that skin to skin moment... all of that I knew I wasn't going to get. David and I both looked at each other with tears in our eyes. Daivd was emotional because he felt sorry for me and all that I had already gone through and I was emotional, well because of the obvious and the above. It was and is probably one of the toughest things (emotionally) that I've gone through. But of course getting our baby here healthy and safe was all that mattered so I mustered up some courage and put on a brave face and we went in for the c-section right then and there. The nurses and the doctor all braced us for what our baby would look like...swollen, bruised and slightly deformed because of how his face had been for sometime and from everyone poking and prodding him trying to figure out what was going on! But I knew he would be perfect to me.
Our sweet baby boy was born at 2:43am on Wednesday, October 24th, 2012
Benson Allen Pyne
7 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches long
They always say though that if you have a tough labor you will have a great baby. I don't know if they really say that, I think we made it up to lighten our spirits but boy has it been the truth. He is a dream and an absolute blessing. I have never felt more full in my life. I have never felt more happiness then I do when I look at my family. My heart feels like it is going to burst 24/7! I feel such an indescribable love for our baby boy that it brings me to tears. I had know idea that it would feel like this, it's like falling in love all over again. We are so grateful for our precious gift from God.

The recovery has been good, I suppose. I mean it's recovery so it has had it's ups and downs. I think my body has done pretty well though considering all the adjusting it's had to do! 
We were in the hospital from Tuesday till Saturday aka FOREVER! You would think that the Hospital would be a great place to rest and recover but let me just say, that was not the case. When you have nurses coming in to check your vitals, stitches and give you your medicines every couple hours and then a new baby that wakes up on all the opposite hours of the nurses, sleep is little to non-existent. But we were very well taken care of and really appreciated everyone at Utah Valley Hospital! We had such a special time at the hospital just enjoying our new bundle of joy with no distractions... no work, school, and extra-curricular life like things, just the three of us! David stayed with me at the hospital the entire time I was there. He deserves a medal or an award or something awesome for being the most amazing husband in the whole wide world because he slept on a tiny little chair (he is 6'5 people!) and didn't complain once! So deeply grateful for him and everything he has done for me and Benson these last couple weeks!! 

I also wanted to say thank you to all those that were so sweet to want to visit us while in the hospital. We really appreciated it and if my recovery had been a little different and if I had looked/felt more up for it (I looked like death the entire week!) then we would of loved the visitors! We just decided to keep it family though. Thank you all again for the phone calls and the text messages! 
We have the greatest friends ever and we love you all!
Here our some pictures from our special day!
More updates to come later...and more pictures too! :)
Leaving the house on our way to the Hospital!
First picture of the beautiful gowns I lived in all week.



We were tagged and IV started...this was really happening!


My two Sisters, my Mom and my Mama and of course the hubby! My sister's husband, my niece and my dad were there too! We were so blessed to have all my family with us!!  
David all ready in his surgery attire 


On our way to finally meet our baby
Benson Allen Pyne born at 2:43 am 





 
Our beautiful baby boy!! 
My first time seeing our baby, I was all tears!
The nurses were AMAZING! You can see in the background that they had picked up our video camera and other camera and took all these pictures for us! We didn't even have to ask!
Ohh how I love this picture!!
First time holding him!

Proud new Daddy!!
LOVE our sweet Benson!
Finally going home! A family of three now!! 































3 comments:

  1. So sweet Brittany! I am so glad he is here safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you just scared me right out of having a baby with that labor story! Haha just joking! But seriously though, kudos to you! Congrats on the baby boy! He is precious:)

    ReplyDelete